Business Intelligence Index
- 7 Deadly BI errorsWhile Business Intelligence offers significant business opportunities, many companies still do not use it as a strategic advantage. Therefore Gartners leading Business Intelligence analysts emphasize seven major errors BI and stressed Gartner best practices to avoid mistakes.
1 . 'If you build it they will come'. Data warehouses are often created by the IT organization with little, if so many business connections. As a result, users within an organization is often considered to have little value.
- Ad hoc reportsAd hoc reports first considered as great help return as worst enemies. IT spends more time on cleaning mess from wrong side instead of production improvement and better process description in data flow. Ad hoc reports kill regularly scheduled reporting implementation and releases.
- Authentic Solution vs Business Intelligence NoiseTired of false so called experts, advisors, projects, consultants?
And still not gaining full power of driving company and earning profit.
What is authentic solution that connects all pieces of one big puzzle? Into one picture?
- Beams for the ceiling in business intelligence industry
- Big Business Intelligence ProjectsBig projects can be unrecognized in organization In manner of information implantation. If model star scheme is very complex then any change is dramatic and can destroy reporting logic. So, something that seams small is actually big information project for implementation since Information Systems are not prepared and its relations are
- Building Parallel Business Intelligence ReportsCorporate information environment is full of reporting solutions - reporting universes. It is tempting thing to make parallel reporting solutions that have most of the information base same but not complete. Building parallel reporting solutions is easier but also makes huge information and knowledge problems in the future.
- Business Intelligence AssumptionsAssume to have the best business analytics in one person.Assume to have best financial analytics also in one person.Assume to have it all in one person, analytic superman. Or have it one Dream Team. Super team is something more realistic…Assume to have best Business Performance Management tool on market... , implemented and operative in your company.
- Business Intelligence BenefitsBuilding OLAP cube or Universe as business intelligence reporting environment might be of great help for company reporting process. Here are some examples of measurable benefits that could be achieved with implementation of OLAP or Universe:accuracy of data, compared to old reporting systems
easy trace of information till the source, for example drill down functionality, clear clue what is reported and how it came to numbers that are shown
- Business Intelligence CSIAs soon as reporting inconsistency is spotted, users alarm administrators and all experts in line to find reason for difference. Addressed responsible persons will dig into business logics, reporting logic, data content, ETL, procedures, data exchange between production systems and similar. Finding what causes unusual data behavior means analyzing and investigating from business intelligence reporting data toward production systems on data entrances.
- Business Intelligence Example of Reporting Errors - Duplication of FiguresData Warehouse is not imune to changes on source systems, actually it is very vulnarable to them. If source systems have duplicate figures, Data Warehouse will also report duplicates. Here is an example from practice where guys made patch on CRM system to handle "urgent" marketing product without making any kind of communication toward reporting - DWH and Business Intelligence. Duplicated figures were in official reports for three months and caused significant deviations of core Key Performance Indicators. Unfortunatelly, reporting mistake was presented to the board members as Data Warehouse error.
- BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE FAILURES - 50 TOP REASONSThere are many reasons why Business Intelligence fails. Here is the TOP LIST of Business Intelligence FAILURES. Top reasons why Business Intelligence fails.
- Business Intelligence goals and expectations
- Business Intelligence PDFs updatesNew Business Intelligence PDF - Introduction (20 pages). PDF reveals new insights into Business Intelligence industry, topics about internal company problems and solutions. This can not be learned from classic BI authorities but they influence significantly on any Business Intelligence, Knowledge Management, Decision Making (Decision Support Systems) or Performance Management solution and processes. It is a NEW MATERIAL not yet seen - GUARANTEED.
- But nobody understands usHave you ever met people wondering around company with request to implement something and knocking from door to door asking to implement their business intelligence request? Facing Business Intelligence problem development and implementation is not so rare but this is very drastic example of could happen. Their specification was deposited in IT in some kind of limb because they do not know what to with it.
- Choosing Business Intelligence SoftwareExtremely important fact to consider is roadmap of business intelligence tool. There were many tools that were simply "abandond" buy their owners. Place yourself on vendors position, would you keep in your portfolio competing products? SAP for example has this dilemma. Which product shall be integrated into vertical products platform as complete solution and which shall be abandoned... If company implements product that will soon terminate deployment and development simply due too business intelligence market processes - acquistions or mergers...their implemented business intelligence tool is vaste of investment.
- Competitive Intelligence vs Business IntelligenceThe three concepts or terms that are often mentioned in economic systems, theory and practice: competitive intelligence, business intelligence and industrial espionage, are not only frequently mentioned, but very often misinterpreted and mixxed. It is very important to explain the differences between these three concepts.
- Complex ReportingComplex reporting raises with information environment complexity, market dynamics, and product portfolio. It is important to understand signs of reporting complexity.
- Crazy little thing called Business Intelligence ReportBureaucracy is never-ending source of crazy tasks. Here is the case of one small task, business has to generate small report on push the button for the official external reporting purposes. At first glance nothing is wrong with the task coming from certain department that report has to be implemented somewhere in company information systems. Nothing weird...
- Critical Reporting TimeTechnical implementation of new products in era of hyper production eats most of the time during projects. What is left of the time, small time pieces, is left to reporting process and then it has to be done immediately. Reporting must be done in week or two with night shifts in order to provide managers their desired piece of information. Sad but many times true, reporting process is regular entity to blame if projects are slow, and not functioning as planned.Truth is totally opposite than common
- Dashboards Suffer from Comb Syndrome
- Data ForensicsIf company insists on investigating every aspect of business intelligence reporting errors then we are talking about data forensic. It is mandatory to be aware about reporting mistakes that happened but too big focus on every detail of generated error (who made mistake, who signed, who defined process, was everything under procedure, what is the error impact and etc.)
- Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence Reporting Users
- Decision ManipulationI like decision manipulation. Before decision is made I do like to play with possible scenarios, to manipulate with decision, and to fine tune best revenue share. In other words, it is easy to find profitability peak, because costs are more or less fixed for considered decision but revenues are changeable.It is not an empty phrase to say that for certain decisions costs are fixed and revenues are changeable. If changes are made in small steps and if they are directly related with fixed cost categories, they are indeed fixed. On the other hand, revenues can be changeable, depending on price & discount policy, bundled products and services, guarantees, delivery timing, product and services portfolio, and etc. All named factors can be modified without direct influence on cost side. Catch is, these are fine and sensitive steps.
- Enforcement of ReportsFrom time to time reports need to be pushed for using. Sounds weird, but it is true. It is hard to force users to use new reporting platforms. Sometimes it looks like invisible wall between exploitation of reports and users. It is very common event that reports are ordered and not being used. Reasons might be following...
- Excel and controllingReporting toward external customers like stock, owners, tax, regulators, auditors and others or internal reporting is one of main role of controlling, more in article about controlling. Main task of controlling is to prepare reports out of accounting data for management in understandable and custom formats. Preparation of many types of reports are made in Excel, which is excellent platform for table data preparation and calculation.
- Google Effect vs. Knowledge IntegrationGoogle Effect is attention deficit problem where facts can be easily found but not understood. Our brains are physically changing due to data accessibilty. Companies have similar problem due to information hyper production.
- How Not to Measure Business Intelligence PerformanceDo not count jobs and tasks per tables or lists, with semaphore lights, comments, deadlines and etc.These lists can be easily transformed into many smaller tasks. Lists can mislead for example it might look that nothing is happening while there are happening solutions on instances that are not mentioned (not on the list) but do make significant basis of complete reporting later. If there is no true and deep knowledge about what is going on in business intelligence processes it is easy to misinterpret value of ...
- How to integrate Excel and Business Intelligence
- How to Make Specifications for Business Intelligence ReportsMaking specification of how report should look like with all combinations of content and functionalities can be mighty frustrating job for requesting side. If specification is not detailed enough it is always a grey zone for misunderstanding between developer and those who asked reports. It is a tough job and there were cases where IT experts felt how hard it is to make requirement toward other IT developers.
- How to Start a Business Intelligence ProjectBusiness Intelligence (BI) project assumes to be integrated with Data Warehouse (DWH) or other reporting solution like data repository or reporting from legacy systems. Therefore BI should be considered as DWH/BI project.
Practice shows very low successful implementation of DWH/BI project(different sources vary from 20% to 40%). That's why it is important to make at least proper start of DWH/BI project, and here are certain preconditions mentioned in steps to minimize risks of Business Intelligence project failure.
- Information InterpretationIn order to properly interpret meaning of information analytics need to know all elements of information structure together with information distortion effects, transformation of information from one media to another - from one IS to another.
- INFORMATION OVERLOAD - Problems and SolutionsManagement faces serious problems in the decision-making processes due to information overload. With financial and economic crises corporations generate internal information like never before. Information generation is forwarded toward decision makers, strategic decision makers. Management has to deal with hundreds of pages of key performance indicators presented in graphs, tables, projections and similar. It is overwhelming for persons to handle all information. It is almost impossible to correlate all information and to create knowledge of it, because everyday information overload includes thousands of Key Performance Indicators and Financial Ratios.
- Information System Paradox
- Information Systems as Show StoppersHow can own Information Systems become show stoppers for new products? Own IS as main enemy of development.It is more than simple.
- Information Systems Delivery ProblemsReports are being produced, users have started to test them. Everything seems idealistic... But reports have errors and IT is concentrated on report quantity not quality. Users report errors but IT does not have time to fix them, because reporting quantity needs to be caught.Reports are top of the ice bergs, with their testing many errors will appear that are not made by reporting platform. Their error source could be deeper in production systems or even in the processes.
- Innovative business intelligence and vision of futureIs there a need for innovation something that is relatively new, not installed in many companies and certain satisfaction is accomplished with current solutions. Yes, There is! There is a need for improvement of business intelligence since with its current model, design and structure can not handle new requirements and an avalanche of information in companies.
- Integrating Excel and Business Intelligence SoftwareIn controlling department Excel is used to prepare and customize reports, presentations and ad hoc analysis according to management guidelines. Excel provides great functionalities too controllers and is essential tool in everyday work without alternative. On the other side business intelligence software is great in reporting, planning, workflow, consolidation, analysis, masterdata management and similar processes in controlling. Lack of integration between Excel and Business Intelligence software causes many everyday problems.
- Internal audit is the king and excellent business intelligence party-breakerHow to slow down all processes related to Business Intelligence, Data Warehouse with one single and minor organizational effort? Simply, just strengthen internal audit with many employees and let them do the work properly. If managers will not guide them they will find what to dig and how to make processes be by the book.
- Knowledge Integration vs. Information IntegrationKnowledge integration means to connect information that are not possible to connect through information systems, at least not without huge efforts. Knowledge integration means to connect information sets with new relations, something that is not connectable with information intelligence but is possible with combination of experience, market knowledge, internal information flow and etc. When you simply just know that information are connectable...
- Knowledge Management and Business Intelligence PictureCombination of all mentioned exports form information systems to knowledge management base with corporate documentation, processes and innovations is essential Decision Intelligence, basis for decision support system. Only adequately stuffed Decision Intelligence can create Competitive Intelligence.
- Limited Business Intelligence Budget ProblemChoosing for example between 50 reports, and what needs to be developed might seem simple, but… Budget is enough for only 20, to pay to vendors, and rest should be somehow replaced with processes, negotiations with users and their bosses and with own deployment. Whatever you do, it is not your decision how will budget be allocated. Decision is more in hands of those who have better
- Limited KnowledgeExperts do not like to change solutions they've learned. Once they get used to certain solutions they do not like to switch to another radically different. It is their preferred way of solving problems, extending existing set of knowledge.Doesn't matter if IT experts seam very smart and eager to learn. They've used to be that and know they only extend safety knowledge set. No radical knowledge’s are allowed.
- Long long business intelligence journey
- Manual Business Intelligence
- My Business Intelligence OLAP cube DilemmaDilemma was to create small OLAP cube among the aggregated data or to create detailed - big cube with all the details. If deployment started first with small cube and if the aggregation structure is different than from detailed data I'll for sure through away money when aggregated cube will be created. The reason is that all the effort (code and programming) cannot be applied to the big OLAP cube.
- Naked Business IntelligenceStandard business Intelligence is simple business intelligence without mixture with finance and without applied specialized functionalities and coding according to specialized fields of usage. It's prime role is to deliver data from production systems properly filtered and formatted. User combines from prepared reports or cubes any ad-hoc query or standard report in no time. Only limit is methodology of data extraction, data quality and process-reporting transparency. That's it, nothing more like graphs, semaphores, comparisons, dashboards, comments and etc. Standard Business Intelligence provides pure data extraction and data presentation and that is the reason why we like to call it NAKED Business Intelligence.
- Redundant and Over Customized ReportingAt the beginning of the project many reports are required by users. They prepare specifications, list of wishes, explanations, descriptions, even business cases to justify their influence on company profitability. It is almost always huge amount of requests.All the business intelligence requests are made from users perspective and from what they know best, from the perspective of functionalities of table calculators. Those requests are very rarely checked and consolidated from decision or business intelligence experts. It is more like un-structured bunch of reporting requirements.
- Release of Great Business Intelligence ResourcesIf you need solution for information mess, Total controlling Concept provides model for handling any information chaos... even exponential information growth in dimensions, data quantity, reports, projections, financial statements. Any information complexity can be solved with Total Controlling Concept. What is even more important all important financial ratios and business key performance indicators can be quickly connected into one simulation platform. This simulation can provide ULTIMATE decision making solution for any management level. Everything is connected and everything influences everything in real time. That is Total Controlling Concept.
- Replacing Reports from Source Systems
- Set Up Complete Business Intelligence
- Shadow Business Intelligence Games
- Shooting duck
- Simple Minds
- Social Intelligence Capitalized in Business Intelligence
- Valuable Internal Business Intelligence ResourcesMany companies do not appreciate own resources: experts, know how, internal knowledge, internal work. It somehow much easier to hire vendor to do job instead to engage own teams.
- Waiting for stormIt is weird to see list of RfCs with action points for business who initiated RfC and to see it constantly in same status. For example business needs to make additional specification or to make prioritization of own requests. So, business ordered change but does not actively participate in its implementation like it is not interested.
- What is Business IntelligenceBusiness intelligence can be defined as a very large set of tools, applications and technologies that are used to retrieve data from various sources, store data, analyze data, provide access to appropriate information in order to help users make better and faster business decisions and finally make quick and effective distribution of information within the company.
GD Star RatingIndex of Business Intelligence Posts,